Monday, July 7, 2008

Anchorage, AK-0 miles

Day 12, July 5, 2008. After 12 days (11 days with Gary; 1 day from my home to his) of almost-constant riding, today had no riding at all. For the most part, it was a rest day.

Maybe some information about where we're staying. The hosts are his brother's daughter and son-in-law and their families. The hosts have 5 children, ranging in age fom 10 to 3 years of age, but are very well mannered. So, there's 7 in that family. Gary's brother with his ex-wife also live in the same residence. In addition, Gary's wife flew in with his mother and Gary's brother's ex-wife's mother. Add Gary and me to the mix, and there are now the group totals 14—all related but me (but they treat me as family; they are truly good people). To ease the housing situation, Gary's nephew borrowed a travel trailer which is parked in the yard in which Gary and his wife stay in addition to me.

The children are very interesting to watch. Each has a unique personality and are charming children. Makes me a bit homesick for my grandson. They generally do well among themselves and are a pleasure to be around. I've helped rescue one of them (the youngest) twice when she fell and had a hurt. I like being a rescuer!

Part of the guests packed into a vehicle and rode into town to the Farmer's Market for lunch and some shopping. I found gifts for my son and his family; not much, but something unique from Alaska. Not much room for much stuff to carry back on the bike.

Later in the afternoon we rode to Flat Top Mountain to view Anchorage and the waters that adjoin. It was very pretty up on the mountain, but the wind got up and it started showering, so we didn't stay long.

Came back home, visited with the family, worked on Gary's brother's bike to get it running (we were successful after several hours of tinkering, including removing the carberaters, cleaning the jets, and reinstalling them).

Then a true feast for dinner. Halibut fixed 4 ways; pan seared, salmon-rub, lemon, and with a sauce which included cheese and onions), all of which were delicious. Add potatoes, broccoli, and squash and it was truly a feast. They can cook!!

Then some rest and to bed. Got in bed about 11:15am, still not even a good dusk outside. It's hard to get used to all the light up here. Neat, but you want to keep going because it's so light outside.

Tomorrow, wash the bike and goof off.


Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog ... great memories! Ride safe, Dick

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it alright. That sign looks familiar. keep it safe Ray